Saturday, April 27, 2013

Gimme Some Sugar

Actually, don't. Because even though I want it REAAAALLLLLLYYYY badly, I'm trying to skip it today.

{I'm not going to go into the bazillion reasons why I haven't blogged in about four months. Let's just move forward.}

I've actually been in a long process of researching. For a while I've felt over whelmed by my diet possibilities. Kind of like, the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know?

As you know, I have several vegan and vegetarian friends out there in the world, some who buy organic, others who grow their own organic, and others on Paleo. (Holla!)

So basically, I'm surrounded by healthy diets and overwhelmed by my options-- some of them conflicting-- especially when I hit the grocery store. Do I buy tofu? or $9/lb organic beef? or do I get my protein from grains and beans? It's all so confusing.

At this point, I've decided to do what I've been doing. As Dad always said, everything in moderation. Sometimes, he really knows what he's talking about. 

Basically, I haven't cut anything out completely. That makes me nervous.  But I'm careful about my soy intake, and picky about what meat I buy. I've laid off the milk and cheese, and upped my fruits and veggies big-time.

One thing I HAVE  cut out lately though, is white sugar and white flour. Basically, no good can come of these, so I don't mind. 

Well, I mind a little. Especially at 3PM after a rough day in 8th grade.

But I've found a couple of ways around white flour and sugar that I want to share.



Chocolate Chunk Paleo Cookies
Copied straight from: http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2012/10/chocolate-chunk-paleo-cookies/


Author: 
Recipe type: cookies
Serves: 10 cookies
Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (*update: make sure to measure oil after melting so that you’re not inadvertently using too much. This can cause cookies to flatten)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon almond milk
  • ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate pieces (I used Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree-highly recommended)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
  3. Whisk together wet ingredients in a small bowl.
  4. Add wet to dry and mix together.
  5. Fill a tablespoon measure with batter and press down to form a half-circle. Tap batter out onto baking sheet and lightly press down in the center.
  6. Bake for 10-11 minutes until bottoms just start to turn brown.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. They will be soft when removed from oven but firm up in a couple of minutes.


***** These are a win. We've made them twice so far. Easy to make, full of protein, and yummy. Tip: I bought both the almond meal and coconut oil from Trader Joe's; they have it the cheapest. Honey is local and from the Little Falls Co-Op.



Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
2 large old bananas
1 cup of quick oats

Mix those two together. Old bananas are amazing for this, but you can use fresh ones too. I buy a bunch of bananas, let them get old on my counter, and then stick ‘em all in the freezer.
Then add in what sounds yummy to you! (or nothing!) We love:
-a handful of chocolate chips
-crushed walnut pieces
-cinnamon
-raisins
Since all bananas are different sizes, the needed measurements can vary. If it seems too runny and the cookies would flatten out too much, add in more oatmeal. And make sure to not add in TOO many mix-ins as the cookies won’t hold together very well. The ones in these photos have a handful of chocolate chips, a teaspoon or two or cinnamon, and 1/4ish a cup of crushed walnuts.
We made 16 cookies with those measurements. We cook them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on a GREASED cookie sheet. 
*****These were okay. A little bland, and a little dry (I added more oats because I thought the dough looked too wet....). I added in cinnamon and raisins, which helped. Next time I might add in some peanut butter or dried cranberries.

Raw Salted Peanut Butter Cookies
the what:
1 cup of raw almonds (you can use roasted as well if you'd prefer)
1/2 cup of peanut butter (i used creamy, unsalted)
1 cup pitted medjool dates
1 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
maldon sea salt to garnish
the how:
- combine almonds, peanut butter, dates and vanilla in a food processor and blend until a dough-like texture is achieved (a couple of minutes).  add more peanut butter if necessary to make the dough stickier *
- form into small balls and use a fork to press down and create a crisscross pattern
- sprinkle liberally with maldon sea salt
- store in refrigerator (in my opinion they were better the next day!)
*i was concerned about the motor in our food processor being overworked so i used the dry container in our vitamix to break down the almonds into a pasty flour before i added everything to the food processor.  almond flour could also be substituted if you don't have access to a vitamix!

*****These were GREAT! We really love peanut butter, so these were particularly awesome. I used the almond meal left over from the first cookies, and I just sprinkled the tops with sea salt. I also added some dark chocolate chips. Definitely make these whether or not you're cutting anything out of your diet!

Give one of these healthier snacks a try, and see if they satisfy your sweet tooth ;)

Salted PB cookies. You can't go wrong here.

Now if anyone can invent a delicious, sugarless and flourless cupcake, I'll be in business.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Danielle. Worth the wait.
    Everything looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete