Sunday, July 25, 2010

The apple doesn't fall far...

This is a family shout-out to my parents, who are not only my biggest blog fans, but sometime, a long time ago, planted the "green" seed in me that would someday turn into this blog, by ALWAYS keeping a garden (pun intended).  I remember being little (I mean, littler than now) and excited to pull the carrots out of the ground... carrots came out of the ground!!  And were covered in roots and dirt!! So cool!!  I still think it's pretty cool to see your food as a living thing, growing from a seed or tiny plant into what ends up on your plate...

Anyway, here's what's happenin' in Dad's garden these days:

The asparagus is getting tall!  Just a few months ago, Dad wouldn't even touch an asparagus-- now he's growing it! Only 2 more years to harvest...

The first ripe hot cherry pepper of the season!

Tomatoes still need some time though...

Cucumbers, on the other hand, are doing just fine.  Here's Dad holding some of his cuke bounty.

MMMM garlic. My favorite.  These are the hard-stemmed ones, which I swear are spicier (meaning I can use only 1 or 2 cloves instead of my usual 3 or 4...) Store-bought garlic doesn't stand a chance against my dad's garlic.  Vampires beware..

And Mom isn't just mooching off of Dad's garden.  Her herb garden adds the spice to his veggies.

Spearmint, basil, parsley, and oregano-- this is her donation to her herb-free daughter (btw, she did enter my apartment, holding this bag of herbs, saying she "had some herbs for her daughter!")

So...here are my roots.  (tee hee!)  My excitement over home-grown veggies isn't new, it's been cultivated over many years by my semi-locavore parents.  OK, I'm done with the gardening jokes.


Tomato-Cucumber Salad (a summer favorite in my home)

fresh-from-the-garden:
tomatoes
cucumbers
garlic
and spearmint (Mom likes it full-leaf style)

onion (optional)
grated cheese (garnish- optional)

dressing:
vinegar (red-wine or apple cider, whichever is your taste)
salad oil
salt and pepper to taste

Slice everything (except spearmint) and put in a bowl.
Add vinegar, salad oil, salt and pepper (basically all to your taste).
Stir up, and add your spearmint, and grated cheese, if you choose it.

Let sit for a bit (15ish minutes) for the flavors to marinate before serving.

2 comments:

  1. and the "CUTEST blogger ever" award goes to....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Fresh feta would be a nice addition. :)

    ReplyDelete