Thursday, February 17, 2011

Got Moisture?

This wasn't meant to be a food blog.





I can't help it if food consumes my life.  It's just so awesome.



Eating is the most obvious, and possibly the first, step towards healthier living.  But there are plenty of other small things you can change in your daily routine to be healthier.  I strongly believe that  what we put ON our bodies is as important as what we put in them.


It's been a rough winter.  We're not only above-average in snowfall, but it's been cold.



Winter weather does a number on your skin.   And there are so many creams, cleansers, ointments, etc. out there to combat dryness, that it can be hard to choose. So I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite winter remedies that work for me, and are (supposedly) healthier, too.

Face

1. Burt's Bees Lemon Poppy Seed Facial Cleanser



I'm a fan of most things Burt's Bees.  I actually use this cleanser all year long, but it's creamy texture is especially comforting for my face in the winter.


It's non-drying and also very gentle-- gentle enough to remove my eye make up, and never bothers my sensitive skin.  And according to the jar, it's  over 98% natural.

$6-$8

2. Korres Yogurt Mask


I have loved everything Korres I've tried.  This yogurt mask is great for those especially frigid weeks when I need an extra shot of moisture for my skin.  Just slather it on to your freshly washed face, let dry, rinse off.  It's labeled as natural and free of most of the stuff that is supposedly bad for you, like mineral oil.  But, it's all Greek to me.  (haha)

$29

3. Korres Thyme Honey Cream


You know I love honey.  This cream is extra thick and rich.  Not for very oily skin.  In fact, I can only really use it in the winter or it will make my skin too slick.  But it's been perfect the last couple of months to make my skin feel nourished.

$35

Body

1. Oatmeal Soap

It's a simple thing, but sometimes that's all it takes.  Oatmeal is a traditional home remedy for itchy skin, and there are plenty of great options at the co op, farmers market, or from your favorite soap making friends. (Patty also makes really nice lotions... just putting it out there.)

$5


 Patty's Lemon Lavender Oatmeal Bar Soap... basically the best soap ever.






2. Burt's Bees Milk and Honey Body Lotion

Here's the honey again.  This has been my go-to lotion this winter-- the only thing that has lasted with only one application.  And the honey smell is light and comforting after a hot shower.

$8-$10


3. Burt's Bees Lemon & Vitamin E Bath and Body Oil

Sorry about the Burt's Bees again, but like I said, it's pretty good stuff.  I've used other body oils, but this one is the richest (as well as more expensive).  Whatever one you decide to try, just put a little bit into a warm bath and be treated to amazingly soft skin when you are done.

$8-$10



Anyway, hope this helps.   Check out your farmers markets and co ops for other products using natural ingredients (or at least missing some of those nasty chemicals).  If you're in Central New York, the Little Falls Community Co op usually sells Burt's Bees for less than the drugstore (I stock up whenever I'm home), but I've seen plenty of fun things -- and have bought amazing soaps-- right here in Albany.  You just have to know where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment