Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Teaching "Green"

Look what's coming to Albany! According to AllOverAlbany.com, a center is being built with the purpose of educating the urban and suburban population on how they can live more sustainably with the resources at hand.  Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pelligrew, founders of a similar community center in Texas, have now moved to Albany and are starting up The Radix Center.  They will begin with a greenhouse, and hopefully add a chicken coop, goats, and fish, as well as begin workshops to educate the public.

I hope that they will be able to present topics in a way that will excite the community, and not feel overwhelming.  I can be just as guilty of feeling limited by my surroundings; I don't even own a home, much less enough farmland to feed myself.  But again, I don't think it's a Go Big Or Go Home kind of situation: every little bit we can do helps, both in terms of our own health, and that of our community.  And lots of little bits can certainly add up to a big bit.

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this goes!

Check out the article on AOA here.

No comments:

Post a Comment