Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Harvest

Summer time is a season of plenty here in Upstate NY.  There seem to be plenty of greens...


Swiss chard cleaned and ready to go.

...and other colors, too.


Zucchini flowers anyone?

A visit to a good friend resulted in bagfuls of fresh goodies from her garden.  We feasted like kings for days.


A hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, fried zucchini strips, sauteed swiss chard, and battered zucchini flowers. (OK, I know there's a lot of fried in there, but they're VEGETABLES.  Come on.)


Summer salad #1 with garden fresh lettuce, chunks of pear, and chicken grilled with a homemade plum sauce (gift of a friend).





























Summer salad #2 with same lettuce and plum chicken, plus fresh raspberries and snap peas.

I dream of having a garden that could feed me for the summer.  It appeals to so many aspects of my character:  love of fresh food, anything earthy, and... I'm cheap.


Everything is so fresh in the summer!  Enjoy the good eats of the season :)



2 comments:

  1. OMG! You're making me so hungry! I've got to go out and see what's ripe!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bounty of produce! I have been seeking out zucchini flowers - I've never tried them and they sound SO good. Hope I find some soon!

    ReplyDelete