Monday, November 22, 2010

This One is for Grannies

One of the things I love about cooking, is that most of my favorite recipes are my favorite because of the people they remind me of.

My great grandmother passed away when I was only six, but even so I still remember so much about her, and miss her. ("Dan-ee-ellllle.")

There are many things that remind me of her: one of them is baked apples.  I remember her kitchen, and the warmth, and the smell, and how the apples looked a little ugly, but tasted so sweet and smooshy and good.

So last night, after a freeeeezing weekend of horrible eating (but still craving warm dessert), and missing my family, I decided a baked apple would be healthier way to warmth and comfort than a batch of cookies.


I cored my apple, being careful not to cut all the way through, then filled the insides with old-fashioned goodness: a scoop of butter, another scoop of brown sugar, some cinnamon sprinkles, and dried date pieces.  (I said it was healthier, not healthy.)



Then in the oven it went at 400 for about 10-15 minutes.

I took the apple out when it got juicy and melty looking, and then scooped on some Skinny Cow ice cream for a cheater's pie a-la mode.




It's a good way to use up some old apples that need using up.  And, to remind of you of being six years old and barely seeing over your great grandmother's kitchen table at the wrinkly baked apples above.



Happy Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment