Monday, May 17, 2010

Asparagus

Before asparagus season leaves us for good, I want to share a couple ways I like to eat it!

First of all, as a side dish, there's little better than roasted asparagus. After washing, drizzle it with some olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at about 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. The spears get dark and caramely and crispy...mmmmmm.

However, recently with my purchase of seasonal farm fresh asparagus, I wanted a recipe that would bring out the sweetness, rather than overwhelm it. I found a recipe for an asparagus sandwich on AllRecipes.com (my fave recipe website) that I tweaked to make easier, and I think, more delicious.

A half a pound of asparagus made two sandwiches for me...

1/2 lb. asparagus
butter, or butter substitute
salt, pepper, garlic powder (all optional)
dill
mayonaise
good whole grain bread, like homemade or from a bakery
cheese (I like sliced muenster for this)

1. Saute the asparagus in the butter until it is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper if desired.
1.5. Meanwhile, toast the bread.
2. Spread mayo on the toasted bread and sprinkle on the dill, as much as you like, to taste. You can also add some garlic powder, if this tickles your taste buds.
3. Layer on about half of the buttery asparagus, add the cheese, cover, and eat!

It's super simple, and incredibly delicious. The butter and dill really bring out the spring sweetness of the asparagus, the whole grain bread gives it some texture and nuttiness. I'm not gonna lie, I ate both sandwiches myself (and yes, that was a lot of asparagus in one day...).

And for any of you asparagus-phobes, my father never touched an asparagus in his life until I roasted some for him, and he loved it so much, he planted some in his garden this year!

So get out there and get some asparagus while the gettin's good!

1 comment:

  1. I must confess Danielle, you saved me from a life without Asparagus. I can't remember if my first try was from a can or from a jar, but the result was a resounding "No" whenever I was offered Asparagus. I'm so happy you encouraged me to try your simple recipe with FRESH Asparagus. "DELICIOUS!" And yes, I enjoyed it so much, I planted my own Asparagus bed!
    Green beans are another vegetable I enjoy prepared fresh with just a touch of oil and garlic with a sprinkle of Hot Pepper flakes. (Of course, I like hot peppers on everything!

    ReplyDelete