Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Stop: Little Falls Community Co-Op


One of my favorite stops when I'm home for the weekend ("home" = my parents' house = the Mohawk Valley) is the Little Falls Community Co-Op. I've been to a few other co-ops in my time, and although this one is small, it holds a special place in my heart. Perhaps it's the QT I get with my mom each time we peruse their selection of natural soaps, or the addictive unsweetened banana chips I purchase by the bagful, or the lowest-priced Burt's Bees stock I've ever seen.

Here are some items not to miss (pricing is approximate since it depends on availability, season, and size):

unsweetened banana chips <$1
local honey (great for allergies) <$3/lb (a steal, really)
loose spices (great for an experimental cook) <$1/oz
Burt's Bees Lemon Poppyseed Face Scrub <$7
local sweet corn (my parents' summer fave) about $4/dz

These are only a select few of the bountiful selection of dried goods, fruits, vegetables, grains, and toiletries that they squeeze into this little one-room shop. There are also amazing Amish baskets for sale that I'm still trying to convince myself I need.

It's tiny, local, and cheap-- a great way to support local farmers and artisans (lavendar soap, anyone?), and a store that's one of it's kind in the Mohawk Valley. It's a must-stop if you live here in the valley, or even if you just happen to be passing by Exit 29A on the Thruway.


The Community Co-Op is located on Albany St. in Little Falls. They are open Tuesdays-Fridays until 5 (Thursdays until 8) and on Saturdays until 1.

Above is a snapshot of my mom's purchases of the day: unsweetened banana chips, sugar snap peas, local honey, and local sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment