Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rhubarb Crumble

Rhubarb is a summer staple that is already available in markets. Growing up, my dad would just pick it right from the bush, peel it, salt it, and snap right in. The tarter, the better. And up until now, that's pretty much the only way I'd ever eaten rhubarb besides the random jam or pie. Jam seems like a lot of work, and those of you who know me, know I can't bake to save my life (except for the occasional banana bread...). Therefore, when I bought a few stalks of rhubarb at the Carrot Barn in my enthusiasm for local food, I found it wasting away in my fridge, with no idea what to do with it.

As usual, AllRecipes.com saved the day. This afternoon, my rhubarb dying a slow, cold death in my fridge, I searched for recipes discovered this gem for Rhubarb Crumble. It looked super easy, and I didn't need to buy any additional ingredients, which is key. So with my rhubarb lying limply on my refrigerator shelf, and a hungry boy coming over for dinner, I decided to give it a try.

I followed the recipe exactly, except that my three stalks of rhubarb did not equal the called for three cups of rhubarb, so I substituted in some sliced apples. Never be afraid to experiment! In retrospect, this was a blessing in disguise, because I think a solid rhubarb
crisp would have been too tart for my taste; the apples cut the tartness and added a little extra sweetness-- a berry would have been even better (mental note for June when strawberries are ripe!). Also, my crumble didn't get quite so crispy as it should. This could be due to my lack of baking skills, but in the future, I think I'll add a little more butter to the crisp than the requested 1/3 cup. However, after all was said and done, I would call this recipe a success. It is a yummy dessert that includes several local or whole ingredients (rhubarb, apples, oats), it is fairly healthy (except for the cup and a half of sugar...), and it satisfied a hungry man with a Tart Tooth, who ate half of it himself.

Give it a try if you're a fan of rhubarb (or even if you're not-- don't be afraid to try something new!)

3 comments:

  1. This is all well and good... BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HUMMUS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try this one....there was rhubarb all over the farmers market this weekend and I've never tried it before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know too many Adriennes... :)

    ReplyDelete